This highly specialised Mid-Level Sanctions Associate role in a high risk environment involves reviewing and investigating payments and names to identify whether sanctions risk exists. The role involves investigating payments, transactions and names efficiently, accurately and within market conventions and standards set out in the Sanctions Operation Policy.
Employees are responsible for work which is performed within established routines, methods and procedures. This role has shared responsibility for financial crime compliance across the bank.
Proactively manage risk, meeting all policy and compliance requirements; adhere to process and procedures pertinent to role; and escalate events, issues or breaches as they are identified (risk accountability forms part of all roles, as everyone is responsible for managing risk and compliance).
This role has accountability for meeting the bank’s policies and standards including integrity and ethics requirements and with relation to external policy and procedures.
Outline of tasks:
1. Review, investigate and apply an appropriate level of due diligence to analyse sanctions risk in payments, names and other messages.
2. Escalate payments to senior associate if possible sanctions risk is identified in the payment.
3. Document each step of the analysis with appropriate evidence, in line with policy and procedure requirements.
4. Update daily output onto an operations management tool like Workware Active
5. Identify opportunities to improve quality and effectiveness.
6. Seek opportunities to improve personal performance or contribution.
Role Technical Competencies
• Minimum 12 (or 18+) months experience in banking
• Proficient in SWIFT message types
• Sound understanding and ability to measure Sanctions Risk
• A curious approach and an awareness to new ways in doing things
• Ability to work in a high pressure and fast paced environment
• Timely escalation of issues to ensure correct outcomes
• Strong written and oral communication
• Strong attention to detail